[R] Should I wrap more package examples in \dontrun{} ?

Hadley Wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 22:33:56 CEST 2013

>> It was my understanding that package authors are responsible for not
>> breaking other CRAN packages without warning.  For example, before I
>> release a new version of plyr or ggplot2, I run R CMD check on every
>> package that depends on my package. I then let the maintainers know if
>> something is broken - sometimes it's because I introduced a bug, and
>> other times it's because I'm enforcing a stricter check than I did
>> previously
>
> It sounds as though you're doing the right thing.   Can you describe how you
> determine the set of packages to check, and how you do your checks?  It
> would be great if we could convince everyone to follow those steps.

I have some functions in devtools to do this:

library(ggplot2)
revdep("ggplot2")

# Takes a _long_ time
revdep_check("ggplot2")

Winston, cc'd, build some additional infrastructure on top of this, so
that tests are run in parallel on a fast EC2 instance, and checked
into a git repo (e.g. https://github.com/wch/ggplot2-checkresults).
That makes it very easy to do a diff
(https://github.com/wch/testthat-checkresults/commit/179219f2563330449ea2bf9aa44d70dbc96ea0e6),
and see what packages are failing now that didn't fail in the past.

Hadley

--
Chief Scientist, RStudio
http://had.co.nz/