[R] Placeholders for String Operations

Simon Pickert simon.pickert at t-online.de
Wed Sep 4 17:17:13 CEST 2013

Hi all,

what are the placeholders for string operations/modifications? Is there a placeholder for numbers, which would allow me to easily replace all numbers in a string? Something like

text1 <- c("this is a number 23%")
text2 <- c("this is not a number bla%")

newtext1 <- gsub(#%, [percentagevalue], text)
newtext2 <- gsub(#%, [percentagevalue], text)

newtext1  should be "this is a number [percentagevalue]"
newtext2  should be "this is not a number 23%"

I figured there is * ? . but I can't find a source that explains their use and lists other placeholders..

Appreciate your help!
Thanks
Simon