[R] xyplot and lwd

Daniel Hornung daniel.hornung at ds.mpg.de
Mon Sep 9 08:42:16 CEST 2013

On Thursday, September 05, 2013 16:39:14 Bert Gunter wrote:
> Daniel:
>
> I wondered if that might be what you meant ...
>
> To amplify a bit on David's response, the answer is that you do **not**
> have separate control over the line width of characters -- lwd controls the
> width of lines in a graph (exactly as it does in base graphics! ), so you
> misunderstood the lwd parameter in the first place. The "cex" parameter
> controls the overall size of plotting characters (and text), so that
> incidentally affects the thickness of lines in character rendering. To get
> different line thicknesses without changing the overall size, you need to
> use different characters, fonts (e.g. bold), or font families, for which
> details can be found on the gpar man page, as David said. Note that some of
> this may also be device and system dependent,

Hello Bert,

I doubt it is this simple: xyplot(rnorm(5) ~ 1:5, pch=4, cex=10) gives huge
symbols, but their thickness is not affected, most probably because they are
not implemented as characters.

It is not that important to me personally anymore, I worked around the
problem.  But still, I would be interested if there is a simple solution.

Cheers,
Daniel

--
Max-Planck-Institute for Dynamics and Self-Organization
Laboratory for Fluid Dynamics, Pattern Formation and Biocomplexity

Am Fassberg 17
D-37077 Goettingen

(+49) 551 5176 373