[R] Cannot create summary of old glm object. How to ensure that R objects will be usable in the future.

Clara cantonfe at mtu.edu
Mon Sep 9 09:48:55 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I have an older, probably about 2 years old glm object, I am not sure
with which version of glm it was produced. I have tried to
summary(my.model) but I get an error.

 > summary(my.model)
Error in .Call("binomial_dev_resids", y, mu, wt, PACKAGE = "stats") :
   "binomial_dev_resids" not available for .Call() for package "stats"

Some info about the model:
Call:  glm(formula = my.formula, family = binomial, data = my.data,
weights = my.weights,
     x = T, y = T)

My current r version and platform:
R version 3.0.1 (2013-05-16) -- "Good Sport"
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

I have used my.model before, about a year ago, without any problems. So
my questions are,
(1) Is there a way to "update" the model so it works with the new
version of summary.glm? or is there a way to make the new summary.glm
function agreeable to my.model?
(2) Should I expect this behavior with other older models? I mean, If I
create a model today should I expect to have problems when I try to do
simple stuff with it, like "summary", in a couple of years?
(3) Is there a way to prevent this? What would be the best way to make
sure, as much as possible, that the models I produce today will be
usable in the future by me and others?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I will run into this problem again, so
I would very much appreciate any help on how to handle this.
Clara