[R] Jcheck error - Any ideas?

Panagiotis Isigonis panagiotis.isigonis at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 13:05:27 CEST 2013

Dear all,

I am facing a problem with running a script that i have written in R and i hope
you can help me spot which exactly is the problem and how i can solve it.

The error I get is the following:
----
Error in .jcheck(silent = FALSE) :
   Java Exception <no description because toString() failed>.jcall(row[[ir]],

"Lorg/apache/poi/ss/usermodel/Cell;", "createCell", as.integer(colIndex[ic] -
1))<S4 object of

class "jobjRef">
----

As I am not a programmer, i don't really understand the error message. I did a
search to try to understand what is wrong and if i am correct the problem is
related with the 'rjava' package. I am not using directly this package but i am
using the 'xlsx' package that is calling the 'rjava' one.

I have made a search on the available resources online for tips/solutions.
I found some similar errors on these reports:
http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/Java-Exception-error-while-reading-large-data-in-R-from-DB-using-RJDBC-td4647844.html
but it is not really similar with my problem, as i don't read any data online.
On
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12476044/r-how-to-clear-memory-used-by-rjava
the problem seems similar but there is no reply.

Since it mentions a memory problem, based on this post
http://www.bramschoenmakers.nl/en/node/726 i tried to change the available java
memory by using
> options(java.parameters = "-Xmx4g" )
It didn't work out. (Possibly is not related, but i had to try something).

I would like to point out that i am loading to the script an excel file (through
xlsx), making some calculations with the use of 'data.table' and 'sqldf'
packages and then writing the results to a new excel file. We have tested the
script with a file of 3120 lines and it works without any problem but when i try
to run the script and load the excel file of interest that has 47000 lines, i
get the error that i reported above.

I would be more than grateful if anyone can help me on this.
I am running R on Windows 7, with R version 3.0.1 and Java 7 update 10, all 64-bit.

Thank you very much in advance,
Panos

--
Panagiotis Isigonis

PhD student
Department of Environmental Sciences, Informatics and Statistics
Ca Foscari University Venice
email: isigonis at unive.it
tel: (+39) 041 509 3190