[R] assigning the class of an object

Davis, Brian Brian.Davis at uth.tmc.edu
Tue Sep 10 21:54:47 CEST 2013

I'm sure this has been answered before but alas my googlefoo is not that strong.

I have several .Rdata files with a single object in them.  I need to set the class of the object to "myClass".  Unfortunately, I don't know the name of the object beforehand.  Obviously I could ls() and get the name but as I have quite a few of these I'd like to do it programmatically.

I thought something like this would work, but I get an error.

>obj_name <- load("Robject.RData")   # get the name of the loaded object
>class(get(obj_name)) <- "myClass"

Error in class(get(obj_name)) <- " myClass " :
  could not find function "get<-"

So I guess the question is how do I set the class of an R object when I only have the object name as a character string?

Thanks in advance,

Brian