[R] Privacy rights of an old user of this list

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 16:22:55 CEST 2013

On 13-09-12 9:40 AM, John Gonzalez wrote:
> Dear subscribers of r-help,
> I would like to know your opinion about a privacy problem that I recently had after publishing to this list. Not a long time ago, I requested to the administrators of this list that they removed 2 or 3 old posts from mine. These posts were associating my name with an old company for which I worked a few years ago when you would look up my real name at google. I'm 100% aware that there are many mirrors of this list archive and that this is a hard work, however my point was to move their google references to later pages so that new people that look up my name would focus first on more recent work that I see as more relevant for what I would like to do in the future.
> This is the answer that I received from Mr. Winsemius:

I think you misunderstood his response.  Your request is not possible.
The administrators of this list have no control over most of the sites
that archive it.

It's possible that you could approach those sites individually and ask
each one to remove its copy of your postings, but it is unreasonable to
expect the administrators of the list to do that for you, and honestly,
I suspect you'll be unsuccessful in having your old messages purged
completely.  Your messages were public as soon as you sent them, and
it's very difficult to erase public records.

Duncan Murdoch