[R] Privacy rights of an old user of this list

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Sep 12 21:22:01 CEST 2013

On Sep 12, 2013, at 8:40 AM, John Gonzalez wrote:

> Dear subscribers of r-help,
> I would like to know your opinion about a privacy problem that I
> recently had after publishing to this list. Not a long time ago,

> I requested to the administrators of this list that they removed 2
> or 3 old posts from mine. These posts were associating my name with
> an old company for which I worked a few years ago when you would
> look up my real name at google. I'm 100% aware that there are many
> mirrors of this list archive and that this is a hard work, however
> my point was to move their google references to later pages so that
> new people that look up my name would focus first on more recent
> work that I see as more relevant for what I would like to do in the
> future.
> This is the answer that I received from Mr. Winsemius:

If you would use an honorific, it would be "Dr." I generally use
'David', however.

> <<
> Such a service is not available. Almost immediately rhelp postings
> are replicated in multiple websites around the world. The
> information that you could have (and should have) read at the time
> of signing up is here:

> ... and the relevant sentence is:
>
> "Posters should be aware that the R lists are  /public/ discussion
> lists and anything you post will be  *archived and accessible* via
> several websites for many years."
>>>
> I followed up explaining that at that time I was too young to
> understand the consequences of what I was doing

I have no memory of incompetence by virtue of young age being offered
as the basis for the request. My memory regarding the basis for the
request was a desire not to be associated with the the domain name of
the company in question because of a claim that they had used
unethical practices.  I determined with a Google search that there
were multiple other sources of that information on various websites.

> and that, honestly, I didn't pay attention to such a note. Mr.
> Winsemius didn't understand the reason of my request and therefore
> decided to ignore it, even after asking a representative from the
> company mentioned in my old posts to contact him to request the
> removal of such posts.

If motive for not pursuing the issue, rather than policy and
feasibility, is being questioned, it's more that I didn't see the
reason (the originally alleged reason, not the recently revised
argument) as compelling. There are a quite a few of my postings to
newsgroups that I wouldn't mind seeing disappear and even a few on the
Rhelp archives. I just don't think that my errors in judgment or
knowledge deserve to be ignored. My hope is that I am judged on the
balance of useful versus boneheaded.

--
David Winsemius, MD
Alameda, CA, USA