[R] Package to manipulate timestamp data in format HH:MM:SS:sss

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 22:03:23 CEST 2013

Use POSIXct for the date/time stamp.  For your data you will have to
substitute a period ('.') for the last colon (":"), but that is easy
to do with 'sub'.

You will get millisecond precision, but just barely; don't try for
microseconds since for that is the limit of precision with floating
point number representing the number of seconds from 1/1/1970 till now
(10 digits before the decimal and 4-5 after).  Here is an example:

> x <- "12:52:48:123"
> x1 <- sub("(.*):", "\\1.", x)  # replace last colon
> x1
[1] "12:52:48.123"
> xp <- as.POSIXct(x1, format="%H:%M:%OS")
> xp  # normal output
[1] "2013-09-12 12:52:48 EDT"
> format(xp, format = "%H:%M:%OS3")  # with milliseconds
[1] "12:52:48.122"

Jim Holtman
Data Munger Guru