[R] Instructions for upgrading R on ubuntu

Andrew Crane-Droesch andrewcd at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 18:51:45 CEST 2013

I am trying to upgrade to R 3.0.1, and I am working on ubuntu.
Apparently, the new version is available in the following ppa:
https://launchpad.net/~marutter/+archive/c2d4u.  I have added this ppa
to my software sources.

I then run the typical sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade,
and R fails to upgrade from 2.15.2 to 3.0.1.  I then manually try to
sudo apt-get install r-base-dev, which does not recognize that a new
version is available from the newly-installed ppa.

I have tried using the GUI Software Center as well -- it lists R as
installed, and makes no mention of the new version.

Could someone be so kind as to post step-by-step instructions for
actually installing R 3.0.1?  Given issues with graphics in R2.15.2 with
Ubuntu 13.04, I am sure that this will be useful to people besides me.

Thanks,
Andrew