[R] question about "lines"

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 14:56:04 CEST 2013

On 13-09-17 8:06 AM, meng wrote:
> Hi all:
> I met a question about "lines".
>

> attach(cars)
>

> plot(dist ~ speed)
> #add the regression line to the plot
> lines(fitted(lm(dist~speed)) ~ speed)
>

> plot(dist ~ speed)
> #what kind of curve does the following command add to the plot?
> lines(fitted(lm(dist~speed)))
>

> My question is :
> what kind of curve does the last command add to the plot?

Look at the class of fitted(lm(...)).  It is "numeric".  So what you're
seeing is the same as if you computed the fitted values, and then did

lines(values)

Since values is just a vector of numbers, that will plot them as y
values against x values 1:length(values).  That's unlikely to be a
useful thing to do.

Duncan Murdoch