[R] can you explain the cov2cor function

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Sep 19 20:14:15 CEST 2013

On Sep 19, 2013, at 1:48 AM, Kenn Konstabel wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Pascal Oettli <kridox at ymail.com> wrote:
>
>> It's a function of package "sos", quite useful to find functions in R.
>>

>> It is interesting to note that neither RSiteSearch("cov2cor") nor
> findFn("cov2cor") seem to be able to find cov2cor (from the stats package!
> so it's there on every machine that has R installed) but find lots of other
> answeres (e.g., cor2cov). It is thus perhaps too simple-minded to assume
> that when I search for foobar, and if there is a function with exactly that
> name, it would appear as the first answer.  You can find cov2cor by
> searching for "Correlation, Variance and Covariance (Matrices)" (an
> unlikely search string:).

That's not exactly true.  does find the help page on which that function is described:

http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/library/stats/html/cor.html

It just doesn't list it as the name of the page. And it's buried in a welter of other potential hits:

 findFn("cov2cor")
found 74 matches;  retrieving 4 pages
2 3 4
Downloaded 65 links in 37 packages.