[R] Creating dummy vars with contrasts - why does the returned identity matrix contain all levels (and not n-1 levels) ?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Sep 20 17:11:39 CEST 2013

On Sep 13, 2013, at 11:21 PM, E Joffe wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> First I ordered the levels of each factor in a descending order
> based on
> frequency.
> Then, I used the following code to generate a matrix from the
> dataframe with
> dummy variables and  subsequently run the glmnet (coxnet)
>
> ## tranform categorical variables into binary variables with dummy for
> trainSet
> predict_matrix <- model.matrix(~ ., data=trainSet,
>                              contrasts.arg = lapply
> (trainSet[,sapply(trainSet, is.factor)], contrasts))
>
> ## remove the status/time variables from the predictor matrix (x) for
> glmnet
> predict_matrix <- subset (predict_matrix, select=c(-time,-status))
>
> ## create a glmnet cox object using lasso regularization and cross
> validation
> glmnet.cv <- cv.glmnet (predict_matrix, surv_obj, family="cox")
>

> I hope I did not do anything wrong .....
>
> Can't thank you enough for your advice and interest.

Thank you for outlining the process that you used. It looks "from the
outside" as though it respects the constraints on the first two
argument imposed by the more constrained input requirements of
cv.glmnet. I didn't realize that subset could accept a `-`sign as an
operator inside a c() expression, but if you are getting success then
I guess it must.

--
David.