[R] Is there a way to change x and y axis tick mark inside plot()?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 18:17:46 CEST 2013

On 20/09/2013 11:52 AM, C W wrote:
> Dear R community,
> I am having trouble changing the tick marks on y-axis to every 5 units?  I
> have the following:
>
> x <- c(12, 16, 6, 23, 27, 8, 5, 19, 23, 13, 16, 8)
>
> y <- c(29, 29, 23, 34, 38, 24, 22, 34, 36, 27, 33, 27)
>
> plot(x, y, pch=19)
>
> Should I change ylim=c(0,40), and then use axis()?

Don't use ylim, use yaxt="n", then use axis().

> I kept on thinking I can do everything inside plot(), but there is actually
> axis(), par(), ..., and so on.
> Could someone tell me why is there so many functions outside plot().  I'm
> sure there is a reason, but I don't seem to understand why.

R is designed to be flexible.  If you create giant functions that can do
everything, you end up with a design like SAS, which is extremely
inflexible.  It's good at what it can do, but it's very hard to get it
to do something the designers didn't think of.

Duncan Murdoch