[R] Re : Privacy rights of an old user of this list

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Sat Sep 21 15:51:43 CEST 2013

If you say something inn public, it will be there and people may
remember it - you can't take back what you said.

So why is a mailing list different? it is just that we are typing
instead of talking - it goes into the public and there it stays.

Ever heard of the Streisand effect
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect?

I am really tempted to scan the mailing lists to find out how many
contributed three posts which fit the profile...

So live with what you said.

Post a mail where you distance yourself from the posts, but don't expect
that the original ones will disappear.

Cheers,

Rainer

Adan Leobardo Martinez Cruz <amartin2 at umd.edu> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I will express my opinion without knowing the details of the posts John would like to be removed.
>
> In the current state, people posting on this and other servers have no clear way to go when trying to remove their posts.
> It is a likely event that the number of people attempting the removal of their past posts will increase. Their reasons will vary and may or not may be reasonable to us.
> It seems that a discussion on how the R-server will handle this likely situation is needed (including the possibility of keeping the current policy, of course)
> Once the decision has been taken, a warning note would be helpful for newcomers (something in big, black letters saying that whatever we post will not be removed or something like that).
>
> Best regards to all,
>
> adan

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

--