[R] Arcsine transformation

Michael Dewey info at aghmed.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Sep 24 11:21:56 CEST 2013

At 02:26 23/09/2013, peake wrote:
>Thanks for the advice. Like I said, I am still pretty new to R, and stats
>in general. I tried wading through the search results on google, but I
>didn't really find anything that I could understand. I am working with
>percentages as my dependent variable, and I am trying to get my
>distribution as close to normal as possible. Is an arcsine transformation
>even the correct choice for my data? Querying R for help usually leaves me
>even more confused, so I was hoping someone could help me out by walking me
>through the process.

Transforming proportions is something which people involved in
meta-analysis of non-comparative studies often do. You might like to
look in the manual for metafor (on CRAN) and the function escalc
which has a range of options under non-comparative studies. You might
also look at betareg (on CRAN).

I think you also need to find some local statistical support as your
question is now less about R and more about statistics.