[R] Installing R, R packages

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Sep 24 18:10:09 CEST 2013

On Sep 24, 2013, at 12:47 AM, Jeff Newmiller wrote:

> I have stopped using the Berkeley mirror, and just automatically use
> UCLA due to missing packages. However, I feel no compulsion to
> extrapolate and say that there is "some sort of corruption going on
> at CRAN mirrors" because it is only one data point.

I have not been having this sort of difficulty with the Berkeley
mirror. Never have seen this particular error. Occasionally see the
mirror down on a weekend, but that happens with all mirrors. (I do use
Berkeley as my standard mirror and I do download a relatively large
number of packages especially at the point where I call
`update.packages`.)

--
David.

> David Arnold <dwarnold45 at suddenlink.net> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> Consider this attempt:
>>> install.packages("car")
>> trying URL
>> 'http://cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu/bin/macosx/contrib/3.0/car_2.0-19.tgz'
>> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 1326903 bytes (1.3 Mb)
>> opened URL
>> downloaded 1.1 Mb
>>
>> car/data/Rdata.rdb: Truncated tar archive
>> tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.
>>
>> The downloaded binary packages are in
>>
>> /var/folders/qE/qEavkZWTFMmxjncuY+HnqE+++TI/-Tmp-//Rtmpnxi1hV/
>> downloaded_packages
>> Warning messages:
>> 1: In download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb", ...) :
>> downloaded length 1126960 != reported length 1326903
>> 2: 'tar' returned non-zero exit code 1
>>>

>> This seems to be happening frequently at the cran berkeley site. I've
>> also
>> had students try to install R from the Berkeley site and it just
>> doesn't
>> work for them.
>>
>> I had another student tell me today he tried all sorts of mirrors and
>> could
>> not get R and knitr installed until he tried the Washington site.
>>
>> Is there some sort of corruption going on at the CRAN mirrors?
>>
>> D.

David Winsemius, MD
Alameda, CA, USA