[R] Checking a large data set for normality

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Sep 25 06:10:29 CEST 2013

On Sep 24, 2013, at 11:44 AM, steric wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a large data set that includes many soil parameters (i.e. pH,
> calcium
> levels, enzyme activity, etc) Does anyone have any input as to the
> easiest
> way to check a large data set for normality? Is there an R function/
> package
> that can do this all at once?

This raises the question about why one should be doing this. There is
quite a bit of misinformation about the "need for normality", some of
it presented by Six Sigma "experts" or even by college professors who
should know better. One might even say that if you don't know how to
check for normality then there is a high likelihood that you should
not be doing so.

--
David Winsemius, MD
Alameda, CA, USA