[R] min(NA,"bla") != min("bla", NA)

Ista Zahn istazahn at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 17:36:26 CEST 2013

Hi A.K.,

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 11:22 AM, arun <smartpink111 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>  min(5,1)
> #[1] 1
>

>  min(c(1,5))
> #[1] 1
>  min(c(1,5))==min(c(5,1))
> #[1] TRUE
>

>   min(c(NA,"bla"))
> #[1] NA
>  min(c("bla",NA))
> #[1] NA
>  min(c("bla",NA),na.rm=FALSE)
> #[1] NA
>  min(c("bla",NA),na.rm=TRUE)
> #[1] "bla"

What is the point of this example? The OP's point was (I hope I am not
putting words in his mouth) that the documentation for ?min says

"     If ‘na.rm’ is ‘FALSE’ an ‘NA’ value in any of the arguments will
     cause a value of ‘NA’ to be returned, otherwise ‘NA’ values are
     ignored."

but that appears not to be true:

min("bla", NA)
[1] "bla"

It's not clear to me how your example is relevant.

Best,
Ista