[R] How to catch errors regarding the hessian in 'optim'

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Thu Sep 26 18:12:09 CEST 2013

> in tryCatch define an error handler
>
> error = function(e){
>
>     text <- print(e)        # surely there must be better ways
>
>     # parse text for substring 'optim' or more strongly characteristic substrings

Note that print() should aways return its 'x' argument, so 'text' and 'e' will
be identical here.  conditionMessage(e) will give the error message (a character
string) and conditionCall(e) will give the call (a language object) to the function
which threw the error.  You probably want to use grep on conditionMessage(e).

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com