[R] What is a "good fit" Brier score and Harrel's C Index

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Sep 28 17:04:19 CEST 2013

On Sep 28, 2013, at 8:14 AM, E Joffe wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am evaluating survival models using Brier score ("peperr") and
> Harrel's
> C-Index ("Hmisc").

It's spelled 'Harrell'.

> I am wondering:
>
> 1. What would be considered a "good fit" according to these scores
> (like the
> heuristic levels we have for R square in linear regressions) ?
>
> 2. Are there any papers to cite on the matter (I couldn't find any) ?

Frank Harrell's excellent text "Regression Modeling Strategies" has an
extensive discussion of "goodness of fit" and the principles of model
comparison. It's both too involved as well as off-topic for Rhelp. The
other text to consult is Steyerberg's "Clinical Prediction Models".

> 3. Is there any paper to cite that discusses the limitation of using
> traditional reporting for model fit in survival analysis as opposed
> to these
> measures  ?

I predict that the RMS bibliography would be an excellent place to
start your search.

Despite getting his name attached to what he calls the 'c-index', I
don't think one could call Frank Harrell a proponent of that measure
or any of the "competitors". It's really just a dressed up/transformed
AUC. The message I have taken from reading his book and listening to
presentations is that one should apply biologic tests of sensibility
as well as careful investigation of the functional relationships
between candidate predictors and the outcomes of interest. He speaks
very disparagingly about automatic procedures.

--

David Winsemius, MD
Alameda, CA, USA