[R] Error: C stack usage is too close to the limit when using list.files()

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 28 20:40:48 CEST 2013

On 28-09-2013, at 19:51, Jonathan Greenberg <jgrn at illinois.edu> wrote:

> Thanks all -- ok, so the symbolic link issue is a distinct
> possibility, but fundamentally doesn't solve the issue since most
> users will have symbolic links on their machines SOMEPLACE, so a full
> drive scan will run into these issues --  is list.files calling find,
> or is it using a different algorithm?  This seems like a shortcoming
> in the list.files algorithm -- is there a better solution (short of a
> System call, which I'm still not sure will work on Macs without Xcode
> -- a colleague of mine did NOT have Xcode, and reported not being able
> to run find from the command line) -- perhaps a different package?

Since Mac OS X Tiger at least  there is a find utility.
By doing a search here http://www.opensource.apple.com you can see that there is a find utility since 10.0
(to be found here http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/shell_cmds/shell_cmds-17.1/ ).

There must be something wrong with your colleague's setup.

Berend