[R] Environment variable defined in .bashrc is not recognized by R

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Tue Apr 1 11:25:26 CEST 2014

Luca Cerone <luca.cerone at gmail.com> writes:

> Dear all,
> in my .bashrc file I have set the environment variable R_HISTFILE like this:
>
>  export R_HISTFILE="$HOME/.Rhistory"
>
> I then use it in my .Rprofile to have R writing all the history in a
> single file, rather than on a per directory basis.
> However this doesn't work becaus R_HISTFILE is not recognized by R.

Which OS? How do you start R?

There is a difference between login shell (executed when you log in) and
non-log in (I thik interactive shell? don't know the actual
name). .baschrc is only executed after you are logged in and start the
shell. So when you start R from the shell, it should work - you can
check by

  echo $R_HISTFILE

which should show you the value of the variable.

If you are starting R the R gui (on Mac or RStudio) .bashrc is not
sourced. Checo online for the file which will be sourced by the login
shell - different between OS and distros.

Cheers,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug