[R] The explanation of ns() with df =2

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Apr 16 13:11:31 CEST 2014

Dear Xing,

My point wasn't that you should add 1 df for a constant to each cubic but that you need not subtract 1 for continuity. I'm sorry that I didn't make that clear. When you use the natural spline in a regression, there's a constant in the model as a separate term with 1 df, which in effect adjusts the level of the regression curve (assuming one X for simplicity). If you add a constant to each component cubic, the constant in the model is rendered redundant, accounting for the extra df.

I'm afraid that if this is still not sufficiently clear, I'll have to defer to someone with greater powers of explanation.

Best,
John

John Fox
McMaster University