[R] ggplot2: using coord_trans for logit -> probability

Brian Diggs brian.s.diggs at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 20:35:07 CEST 2014

On 4/17/2014 5:44 AM, Michael Friendly wrote:
> I know I can do that.  My example was just a toy version of a more
> complex graph I
> generate on the logit scale, and save as gg.
> I wanted to know if there was a way to transform it to the probability
> scale by using
>
> gg + coord_trans()
> with some suitable argument(s)
>
> for example, this *does* work to transform x -> log(x)
>
> gg + coord_trans(x="log")
>
> Reading the documentation in scales, I tried
>
> plogis_trans <- function () {
>      probability_trans("logis")
> }
>
> but I get errors when I try to use it:
>
>  > gg + coord_trans(y="plogis")
> Error in if (zero_range(range)) { : missing value where TRUE/FALSE needed
> In addition: Warning message:
> In qfun(x, ...) : NaNs produced

The logis distribution (q/p functions) is the inverse of the one that
you want for this transformation. As such, you need to set up a custom
transformation.

inverse_logit_trans <- trans_new("inverse logit",
                                  transform = plogis,
                                  inverse = qlogis)

gg + coord_trans(ytrans = inverse_logit_trans)

gg + scale_y_continuous(trans = inverse_logit_trans)

The difference between these is that coord_trans only transforms the
coordinate scale; it does not change the location of the breaks or the
labels associated with them. The trans argument in a scale, on the other
hand, determines appropriate breaks slightly differently but sill labels
them based on the data (not transformed) values.

There are two ways to get what you want: do the transformations in the
aesthetics, or create a break determining function for the custom
transformation which works on the transformed scale as well as forcing
the labeling on the transformed scale.

ggplot(pred, aes(x=Age, y=plogis(fit))) +
   geom_line(size = 2) + theme_bw() +
   geom_ribbon(aes(ymin = plogis(fit - 1.96 * se.fit),
                   ymax = plogis(fit + 1.96 * se.fit)), alpha = 0.2,
color = "transparent") +
   labs(x = "Age", y = "Probability (Better)")

OR

library("functional")
inverse_logit_brks_trans <-
   trans_new("inverse logit",
             transform = plogis,
             inverse = qlogis,
             breaks = Compose(plogis, extended_breaks(), qlogis),
             format = Compose(plogis, format_format()))

gg + coord_trans(ytrans = inverse_logit_brks_trans)

gg + scale_y_continuous(trans = inverse_logit_brks_trans)

Note that the coord_trans version of this second one ignores the breaks
and labels aspects of the defined transformation. You need to use the
latter (passing it to scale_y_continuous) to get the full effect of what
you showed in gg2.