[R] reading data saved with writeBin() into anything other than R

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Tue Apr 22 03:20:00 CEST 2014

> For me that other software would probably be Octave.  I'm interested if
> anyone here has read in these files using Octave, or a C program or
> anything else.

I typed 'octave read binary file' into google.com and the first hit was
the Octave help file for its fread function.  In C fread is also a good way
to go (C and Octave have different argument lists for their fread functions.)
In the Linux shell you can use the od command.

% R --quiet
> con <- gzcon(file("/tmp/file.gz", "wb")) # your gzcon("/tmp/file.gz", "wb") resulted in an error message
> writeBin(c(121:130,129:121), con, size=2)
> close(con)
> q("no")
% zcat /tmp/file.gz | od --format d2
0000000    121    122    123    124    125    126    127    128
0000020    129    130    129    128    127    126    125    124
0000040    123    122    121
0000046

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software