[R] meta-question about R

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Apr 24 15:56:10 CEST 2014

Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 24/04/2014, 7:42 AM, Jim Lemon wrote:
>> On 04/24/2014 08:52 PM, mark wrote:
>>> On 04/23/14 23:22, William Dunlap wrote:
<snip>
>>> deleting those files. I'm sure that my user's long-running job is
>>> creating them. What I'm asking is if ANYONE HERE knows if there is some
>>> configuration file, or command inside R, that would tell R, whatever
>>> package it's using (I assume that all packages inherit from the
>>> top-level process), when it creates files in /dev/shm, to name them
>>> something that I can use with wildcards in rkhunter's configuration
>>> file so that rkhunter ignores them.

>> You are correct, I didn't understand what you were asking. Doing a bit
>> of searching, the sem_open function's first argument is the name of the
>> file that is to be created. It doesn't sound like you are specifying
>> these filenames, so it is probably a matter of finding the function that
>> calls sem_open or sem_init. I would approach this by grepping the source
>> code of the functions that you are calling, but as I have no idea what
>> these functions are (or how many levels of function calling goes on
>> before one of these two functions is called), I can't provide a
>> straightforward answer. If you do find the offending function, you can
>> just edit the source code to include your "R_temp" prefix, save the
>> edited function, and "source" it to replace the function that is not
>> providing the prefixes.
>
> Using debug(sem_open) is a quick way to find who is calling them.  R
> will break execution when it enters that function.  Use the debugger
> "where" command to see the calling stack.

Thank you both very much - that's what I needed to know. One question,
though - is there an R.conf or something, where the default is format of
that filename is set? I've looked through the rpm for R-core, and what
.../etc/... files are in it, and I don't see that. Is there such a config,
or is that hard-coded into R itself?

        mark