[R] R Cairo Installation - Cannot find cairo.h!

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Apr 29 02:40:02 CEST 2014

Probably not much help to you, but for what it's worth:

* on my system cairo.h is in /usr/include/cairo

Perhaps the CAIRO flags that you set are not adequately guiding the search.

* you need to have the *development* version of cairo installed; on my
system (Fedora 17) I do:

	sudo yum install cairo-devel.x86_64

to effect this.

* I believe that to get cairo to fly properly you also need to have
(the development version of) *pango* installed.  On my system I do

	sudo yum install pango-devel.x86_64

to effect this.

* I don't know how (or even if it is possible) to get yum to install
packages to a "custom" location --- as you would apparently need to do,
since you have created a custom ".../usr/local" under your home directory.

* I was under the impression that to get cairo to fly one needs to do

	./configure --with-cairo

All of the foregoing may be a red herring, off the point and have
nothing to do with the problem that you are having.  I don't really know
what I'm doing.  I just follow recipes. :-)  Good luck.

cheers,

Rolf Turner