[R] Logical operators and named arguments

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Aug 9 12:12:47 CEST 2014

On 09/08/2014 01:10, Joshua Wiley wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 9, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Patrick Burns <pburns at pburns.seanet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 07/08/2014 07:21, Joshua Wiley wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ryan,
>>>
>>> It does work, but the *apply family of functions always pass to the first
>>> argument, so you can specify e2 = , but not e1 =.  For example:
>>>
>>>   sapply(1:3, `>`, e2 = 2)
>>>>
>>> [1] FALSE FALSE  TRUE
>>>

>> That is not true:
>>

> But it is passed as the first argument, not by name, but positionally.  The
> reason it works with your gt() is because R with regular functions is
> flexible:
>
>> f <- function(x, y) x > y
>> f(1:3, x = 2)
> [1]  TRUE FALSE FALSE
>
> but primitives ARE positionally matched

That's not true either.  Almost all primitives intended to be called as
functions do have standard argument-matching semantics.  (Once upon a
time they did not, but I added the requisite code years ago.)  There are
six exceptions plus binary operators and other language elements.

See
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-ints.html#g_t_002eInternal-vs-_002ePrimitive
  and the comments about primitive functions in ?lapply.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
1 South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3TG, UK