[R] Prediction intervals (i.e. not CI of the fit) for monotonic loess curve using bootstrapping

Jan Stanstrup jan.stanstrup at fmach.it
Thu Aug 14 16:17:47 CEST 2014

Thank you very much for this snippet!

I used it on my data and indeed it does give intervals which appear
quite realistic (script and data here
https://github.com/stanstrup/retpred_shiny/blob/master/retdb_admin/make_predictions_CI_tests.R).
I also tried getting the intervals with predict.cobs but the methods
available there gave very narrow bands.
The only problem I can see is that the fit tend to be a bit on the
smooth side. See for example the upper interval limits at x = 2 to 3 and
x =1.2. If then I set lambda to something low like 0.05 the band narrows
to nearly nothing when there are few points. For example at x = 2.5. Is
there some other parameter I would be adjusting?

Jan Stanstrup
Postdoc

Metabolomics
Food Quality and Nutrition