[R] Prediction intervals (i.e. not CI of the fit) for monotonic loess curve using bootstrapping

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Aug 14 19:22:46 CEST 2014

On Aug 14, 2014, at 9:06 AM, David Winsemius wrote:

> On Aug 14, 2014, at 7:17 AM, Jan Stanstrup wrote:
>
>> Thank you very much for this snippet!
>>
>> I used it on my data and indeed it does give intervals which appear quite realistic (script and data here https://github.com/stanstrup/retpred_shiny/blob/master/retdb_admin/make_predictions_CI_tests.R).
>> I also tried getting the intervals with predict.cobs but the methods available there gave very narrow bands.
>> The only problem I can see is that the fit tend to be a bit on the smooth side. See for example the upper interval limits at x = 2 to 3 and x =1.2. If then I set lambda to something low like 0.05 the band narrows to nearly nothing when there are few points. For example at x = 2.5. Is there some other parameter I would be adjusting?
>>

> Try specifying the number and location of the knots (using my example data):
>
>> Rbs.9 <- cobs(age,analyte,constraint="increase",tau=0.9, nknots=6, knots=seq(60,85,by=5))
>> plot(age,analyte, ylim=c(0,2000))
>> lines(predict(Rbs.9), col = 2, lwd = 1.5)

My png file seems to have gotten stripped (try again):

(Not responding directly to Jan Stanstrup because his email address seems to force holdup in the moderation queue.)

--
David.

> --
> David.
>

>> ----------------------
>> Jan Stanstrup
>> Postdoc
>>
>> Metabolomics
>> Food Quality and Nutrition
>> Fondazione Edmund Mach

>>> I probably should have questioned the poster about what was meant by a "prediction interval for a monotonic loess curve". I was suggesting quantile regression for estimation of a chosen quantile, say the 90th percentile. I was thinking it could produce the analogue of a 90th percentile value (with no         reference to a mean value or use of presumed distribution within adjacent windows of say 100-150 points. I had experience using the cobs function (in the package of the same name) as Koenker illustrates:
>>>
>>> age <- runif(1000,min=60,max=85)
>>>
>>> analyte <- rlnorm(1000,4*(age/60),age/60)
>>> plot(age,analyte)
>>>
>>> library(cobs)
>>> library(quantreg)
>>> Rbs.9 <- cobs(age,analyte, constraint="increase",tau=0.9)
>>> Rbs.median <- cobs(age,analyte,constraint="increase",tau=0.5)
>>>
>>> png("cobs.png"); plot(age,analyte, ylim=c(0,2000))
>>> lines(predict(Rbs.9), col = "red", lwd = 1.5)
>>> lines(predict(Rbs.median), col = "blue", lwd = 1.5)