[R] bam (mgcv) not using the specified number of cores

Simon Wood s.wood at bath.ac.uk
Thu Aug 21 15:29:26 CEST 2014

Hi Andrew,

Could you provide a bit more information, please. In particular the
results of sessionInfo() and the code that caused this weird behaviour
(+ an indication of dataset size).

best,
Simon

On 21/08/14 12:53, Andrew Crane-Droesch wrote:
> I am getting strange behavior when trying to fit models to large
> datasets using bam.  I am working on a 4-core machine, but I think that
> there may be 2 physical cores that the computer uses as 4 cores in some
> sense that I don't understand.
>
> When I run the bam using makeCluster(3), the model runs on one core. But
> when I run it on makeCluster(2), top shoes me that three of my cores are
> taken up to full capacity, and my computer slows down or crashes.
>
> How can I get it to truly run on 2 cores?
>
> I'm on a thinkpad X230, running ubuntu.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew

Simon Wood, Mathematical Science, University of Bath BA2 7AY UK
+44 (0)1225 386603               http://people.bath.ac.uk/sw283