[R] ANOVA MS residuals estimation: two models

Rosario Garcia Gil M.Rosario.Garcia at slu.se
Wed Aug 27 22:16:40 CEST 2014

Hello

I have an experiment with two factors MANAGEMENT and REGION. And I have three MANAGEMENT types and three REGIONS. Like this.

REGION: A, B and C
MANAGEMENT: N, P, ST
the independent variable is called PHt

I have set the aov in R in two possible ways. The first model I understand, but I do not understand how the second model set the df for each variable. I understood that the second model is the most correct for a two-way ANOVA without repetition, is that correct?:

- aov(PHt~REGION+MANAGEMENT+REGION*MANAGEMENT, data=data)
- aov(PHt~REGION*MANAGEMENT+Error(subject/(REGION*MANAGEMENT)),data=data)

I attach the results of the two models.

Best regards
Rosario