[R] Best cross-platform OSS GUI CSV management application?

Thu Aug 28 02:10:51 CEST 2014

Please stop posting on this plain text list using HTML. You are not a freshman any more.

Is anyone really considering the use of a word processor (equivalent to MS Word) for managing this tabular data?

The usual quick-and-dirty solution typically involves a spreadsheet program, but they are so lax that any significant amount of manual "management" often corrupts the file with text data in numeric fields and the like. You also end up with versionitis problems if you store the data in the native format for that program.

A better solution is to create a SQL database, which R can read almost as easily as a CSV file but can be configured to restrict data types per column. The drawback is that such solutions are not quick and dirty... someone needs to stick around who understands it. The real question is which flavor of SQL to use. A file-based option that LibreOffice can interact with is sqlite, but I have to admit I don't have much experience using it with that front end. A server-based solution that LibreOffice can talk to like MySQL would be more scalable for multiple users, but one computer would have to act as a server for everyone and the admin skillset takes another step up.

None of these tools are on topic here, but that may get you going toward trying some things out.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing