[R] date time problem

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Sun Dec 7 21:59:37 CET 2014

You have not provided a reproducible example, so anything I say could be
wrong just due to misinterpretation. Please read [1] for suggestions on
making your examples reproducible, particularly regarding the use of dput
to provide example data. You have also posted in HTML format,
which can cause additional scrambling of communications on this list.

>From the notation you are using, I would guess that "Corrected_SA_data" is
a data frame containing columns "date_time" and "TZ" at a minimum.
The "date_time" column could be a vector of class POSIXlt or POSIXct...
except that I cannot reproduce such an object that doesn't print some
kind of timezone indicator in its output. What version of R are you
using? Note that such an object contains a tz attribute already, so unless
you have already made sure that the date_time column knows about that
timezone, they are probably unrelated to each other.

Note that any POSIXct object is internally represented as a specific
instant of time. The tz attribute is only used to control how that time
will be displayed. For example:

testtime3 <- as.POSIXct( rawtime1, tz="America/New_York" )
format( testtime3, tz="Etc/GMT", usetz=TRUE )

If you want the output to omit the timezone information you can omit the
usetz argument:

format( testtime3, tz="Etc/GMT" )

If you have not yet, you should read [2]. Note that three-letter timezone
indicators (even though they are given in OUTPUT!) are at best unreliable
for use in specifying timezones in R... read ?timezones.

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5963269/how-to-make-a-great-r-reproducible-example
[2] http://www.r-project.org/doc/Rnews/Rnews_2004-1.pdf