[R] MLE with parameters restricted to a defined range using bbmle

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Dec 8 21:35:59 CET 2014

I know nothing about the bbmle package and its mle2() function, but it
is a general truth that if you need to constrain a parameter to be
positive in an optimisation procedure a simple and effective approach is
to reparameterize using exp().

I.e. represent xmin as exp(lxmin) (say) and use lxmin as the argument
to your objective function.

This strategy rarely if ever fails to work.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--
Rolf Turner