[R] Printing/Generating/Outputting a Table (Not Latex)

Henrik Bengtsson hb at biostat.ucsf.edu
Wed Dec 10 00:11:41 CET 2014

I'm surprised no one mentioned alternatives to LaTeX, which is not
necessarily installed on all systems and it's also quite a
heavy-weight setup (100's-1000's MBs).  An alternative is to output a
table in Markdown or HTML and convert that to PDF.  The poor man's
HTML-to-PDF is to manually open the HTML document in a modern web
browser and simply "save as/print to" PDF.  For automatic conversion,
one can use Pandoc [http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/], which is quick
to install.

There are several options to output a table in Markdown or HTML from a
data.frame, e.g. xtable, knitr, rmarkdown.  Here's how you can do it
using R.rsp + knitr::kable:

Create the following RSP-embedded Markdown file 'table.md.rsp' (- - -
lines excluded):
- - - BEGIN - - -
<%
R.utils::use("knitr")
options(knitr.table.format="markdown")
%>

# A Table
<%
data <- head(datasets::iris)
%>

<%= kable(data) %>

_Table: The first <%=nrow(data)%> entries of the iris dataset._
- - - END - - -

Then just run:

> library("R.rsp")
> html <- rfile("table.md.rsp")
> !html

and print/save as PDF in the browser. (*)

If you've got Pandoc installed you can generate a PDF by making sure
to use options(knitr.table.format="pandoc") and then:

> library("R.rsp")
> md <- rfile('table-pandoc.md.rsp', postprocess=FALSE)
> pdf <- gsub("md$", "pdf", md)
> system2("pandoc", args=c(normalizePath(md), "-o", pdf))
> !pdf

See also this Gist: https://gist.github.com/HenrikBengtsson/f4e8f6fe2af5d6ccbed6

/Henrik

(*) For the lazy, to test the above HTML example "on the fly" run:
source("http://callr.org/rfile#https://gist.githubusercontent.com/HenrikBengtsson/f4e8f6fe2af5d6ccbed6/raw/table.md.rsp")

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 1:02 PM, Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 09/12/2014 20:47, Richard M. Heiberger wrote:
>>
>> the last one is wrong.  That is the one for which I don't know the
>> right answer on linux.
>>
>> 'xdvi' displays dvi files.  you need to display a pdf file.
>> whatever is the right program on linux to display pdf files is what
>> belongs there.
>>
>> On Macintosh we can avoid knowing by using 'open', which means use the
>> system standard.
>> I don't know what the linux equivalent is, either the exact program or
>> the instruction to use the standard.
>

> xdg-open (but like OS X it depends on having the right associations set).
>

>> On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 3:36 PM, Kate Ignatius <kate.ignatius at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I set these options:
>>>
>>> options(latexcmd='pdflatex')