[R] Vignette from existing .pdf manual

Henrik Bengtsson hb at biostat.ucsf.edu
Wed Dec 10 06:10:50 CET 2014

With recent versions of R there is no longer a need to trick R with
dummy Rnw files etc.  Instead, try the following:

1. Put your rSARP.tex file in vignettes/, i.e. vignettes/rSARP.tex.
If you have other files that the LaTeX file depends on (e.g. figures),
these should also be put under vignettes/.  When the LaTeX file is
compiled, it's relative to this directory.

2. Rename it to rSARP.latex.  (rSARP.tex will also work, but then R
CMD check will give a NOTE that there is a *.tex file left behind.)

3. Add the following to the top of the rSARP.latex file:

%\VignetteIndexEntry{User manual}
%\VignetteEngine{R.rsp::tex}

4. Add the following two entries to the package DESCRIPTION file:

Suggests: R.rsp
VignetteBuilder: R.rsp

Now 'R CMD build <pkg>' will automatically compile the LaTeX to PDF,
which will be a proper package vignette that is part of your package
*.tar.gz file.  For there on it is just as any other vignette.

If you can't get it to work, make that the following

> tools::buildVignette("vignettes/rSARP.tex")

correctly generates rSARP.pdf without errors. If that works, then 'R
CMD build <pkg>' should also work.

Hope this helps

Henrik