[R] Working with data frames

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Thu Dec 11 17:06:44 CET 2014

Here is a reproducible example
  > d <- read.csv(text="Name,Age\nBob,2\nXavier,25\nAdam,1")
  > str(d)
  'data.frame':   3 obs. of  2 variables:
   $ Name: Factor w/ 3 levels "Adam","Bob","Xavier": 2 3 1
   $ Age : int  2 25 1

Do you get something similar?  If not, show us what you have (you
could trim it down to a few columns).

Let's try some plots.
    > plot(d$Age)
This shows a plot of d$Age (on y axis) vs "Index", where Index is
1:length(d$Age).  The points are at (1,2), (2,25), and (3,1). You gave
plot() no information about what should be on the x axis so it gave
you the index numbers.

Now asking for d$Name on the x axis and d$Age on the y.
    > plot(d$Name, d$Age)
This put the names, in alphabetical order on the x axis.  The y axis
ranges from about 0 to 25 and neither axis is labelled.  There are
thick horizontal line segments where you expect the the points to
be.  These are degenerate boxplots - when you ask to plot a
'factor' variable on the x axis and numbers on the y you get such
a plot.

Some folks suggested you avoid factors by adding stringsAsFactors=FALSE
(or as.is=TRUE) to your call to read.csv.  Let's try that
  > d2 <- read.csv(stringsAsFactors=FALSE,
        text="Name,Age\nBob,2\nXavier,25\nAdam,1")
  > plot(d2$Name, d2$Age)
  Error in plot.window(...) : need finite 'xlim' values
  In addition: Warning messages:
  1: In xy.coords(x, y, xlabel, ylabel, log) : NAs introduced by coercion
  2: In min(x) : no non-missing arguments to min; returning Inf
  3: In max(x) : no non-missing arguments to max; returning -Inf
You get no plot at all.

You can get closer to what I think you want with
  with(d, {
    plot(as.integer(Name), Age, axes=FALSE, xlab="Name")
    axis(side=2) # draw the usual y axis
    axis(side=1, at=seq_along(levels(Name)), lab=levels(Name))
  })
If you want the names in a different order on the x axis, then reconstruct
the factor object d$Name with a different order of levels.  E.g.,
  d$Name <- factor(d$Name, levels=c("Xavier", "Bob", "Adam"))
and replot.

There are various plotting packages, e.g., ggplot2, that can make this
sort of thing easier, but I think the recommendation not to use factors
is wrong.  You do need to learn how to use them to your advantage.

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com