[R] Comparing Latin characters with and without accents?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Mon Dec 15 06:33:44 CET 2014

Hello, All:

	  What do people do to strip accents from latin characters, returning vanilla ASCII?

	  For example, I want to convert ‘Raúl’ to “Raul”.  Milan (below) suggested 'iconv(x, “",  "ASCII//TRANSLIT”)’.  This worked under Windows but failed on Linux and Mac.  It’s part of the “subNonStandardCharacters” function in the Ecfun package.  The development version on R-Forge uses this and returns “Raul” under Windows and NA under Mac OS X (and something different from “Raul”, presumably NA, under Linux).

	  Thanks,
	  Spencer