[R] Maximum likelihood with analytical Hessian and

Prof J C Nash (U30A) nashjc at uottawa.ca
Thu Dec 18 15:10:50 CET 2014

Of the tools I know (and things change every day!), only package trust
uses the Hessian explicitly.

It would not be too difficult to include explicit Hessian by modifying
Rvmmin which is all in R -- I'm currently doing some cleanup on that, so
ask offline if you choose that route.

Given that some parameters are between 0 and 1, you could use the
hyperbolic transformation (section 11.2 of my book Nonlinear parameter
optimization using R tools) with trust, and I think I'd try that as a
first attempt. You probably need to adjust the Hessian for the
transformation carefully.

Generally the work in computing the Hessian ( # obs * (# parameters)^2
in size) is not worth the effort, but there are problems for which it
does make a lot of sense.

JN