[R] combinations between two vectors

David L Carlson dcarlson at tamu.edu
Thu Dec 18 16:16:57 CET 2014

Depending on what you want, you probably want to start with expand.grid():

# All combinations of test with test
> pairs1 <- expand.grid(test, test)
> nrow(pairs1)
[1] 36
# Exclude cases that differ only in the order of the values
# E.g. (1, 5001), but not (5001, 1), also (1, 1), etc are included
> pairs2 <- pairs1[pairs1[,1] <= pairs1[,2],]
> nrow(pairs2)
[1] 21
# Same as pairs2 but (1, 1), etc are not included
> pairs3 <- pairs1[pairs1[,1] < pairs1[,2],]
> nrow(pairs3)
[1] 15

David L Carlson
Department of Anthropology