[R] Add encoded special characters (greek characters) as text to plot

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 18 18:31:42 CET 2014

On 18/12/2014 16:59, heyi xiao via R-help wrote:
> anybody has any hint on this?

Yes, ?plotmath does. But you will need to know what encoding this is
(and hence what Unicode points are meant by \246 and \302).

If this really were Greek, common encodings are UTF-8, CP1253 and ISO
8859-7; however \246 and \302 are not Greek glyphs in any of those.  E.g.

 > iconv("LC\246\302\n", "cp1253")
[1] "LC¦Β\n"

(which may not come out in your mail client).

BTW, "\246" is explained in ?Quotes.