[R] Cox model -missing data.

aoife doherty aoife.m.doherty at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 12:17:27 CET 2014

Many thanks, I appreciate the response.

When I convert the missing values to NA and run the cox model as described
in previous post,  the cox model seems to remove all of the rows with a
missing value (as the number of rows "n" in the cox output after I
completely remove any row with missing data is the same as the number of
rows "n" in the cox output after I change the missing values to NA).

What I had been hoping to do is not completely remove a row with missing
data for a co-variable, but rather somehow censor or estimate a value for
the missing value?

In reality, I have ~600 people with survival data and say 6 variables
attached to them. After I incorporate a 7th variable (for which the
information isn't available for every individual), I have 400 people left.
Since I still have survival data and almost all of the information for the
other 200 people (the only thing missing is information about that 7th
variable), it seems a waste to remove all of the survival data for 200
people over one co-variate. So I was hoping instead of completely removing
the rows, to just somehow acknowledge that the data for this particular
co-variate is missing in the model but not completely remove the row? This
is more what I was hoping someone would know if it's possible to
incorporate into the model I described above?

Thanks