[R] Calculating mean, median, minimum, and maximum

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sun Dec 21 23:04:50 CET 2014

On Dec 19, 2014, at 9:35 AM, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 8:48 AM, John Kane <jrkrideau at inbox.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> It looks like you are replying to some phantom. Is your correspondent actully on R-help?
>
> This most likely happens because OP posted the message via Nabble
> [http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/Calculating-mean-median-minimum-and-maximum-td4700862.html]
> via "New Topic", which in turn post the message to r-help after asking
> the user to confirm:
>
> "Mailing List Subscription Reminder
> This forum is an archive/gateway which will forward your post to the
> r-help at r-project.org mailing list.
>
> The mailing list may require your subscription before accepting your
> post. Please note that being registered with Nabble does NOT
> automatically subscribe you to this mailing list. If you haven't
> subscribed yet, please do it now. If you aren't sure or don't
> remember, just subscribe again because there is no harm."

Some of that statement is incorrect. You will be unable to establish a new subscription if your email address has not changed, since it is the email address that acts as your  useR_name. Furthermore, if your email address changes, you can change the address without re-subscribing as long as you log in with the old email address and your password. The address at which you gain access to the web interface is posted in the standard footer in each message (unless you are using Nabble).

> Since OP is not a registered user on the r-help mailing list, his/her
> post is help by r-help for moderation.  However, mtrang probably saw
> it on Nabble and replied there and since mtrang is also a registered
> user on the r-help, his/her messages reach us here on r-help, before
> OP's messages help for moderation are approved.
>
> I'd say, this is quite annoying "feature" to everyone but Nabble
> users, particularly since the Nabble message does not include the

Writing as a moderator (but not an owner);

Sometime ago (guessing Jan 2013) the automatic filters were "strengthened" in the ETHZ mail-server that automatically discards some Nabble postings. This was done because someone set up a spam bot that was posting exact duplicates of prior postings altered only by attaching a spam footer that had links to gawd knows where. These were coming in too fast to filter by the moderations staff so it was decided to summarily chuck them in null_dev.  The exact rules were never published, but I have observed that hotmail, gmail, and yahoo addresses will increase the probability of automatic rejection. I think that replies to these are sometimes held up in the moderation queue as well. I do believe that subscription status is also part of that algorithm.

Nabble not only makes it modestly difficult to attach prior message content but it also filters out the footer at the bottom of every posting so the subscription address and the Posting Guide address are not included. It also falsely claims that it is the Rhelp mailing list archive. We, of course, know that there is only One True Archive: https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/

It is possible to use Nabble (or gmail or yahoo)  as a web-front-end successfully and respectfully in accord with mailing list traditions of in-context editing and adherence to group norms. It requires an understanding of mailing list realities and attention to details that most Nabble users seem unwilling or unable to learn. They have over the years imposed considerable effort and time on the moderation volunteers. As a group I hope it is fair to say we moderators have little sympathy for too typical Nabble user who fails to read the Posting Guide (to which there does appear a link when users log in), although we do realize that a few longtime and valued contributors may use its facility when traveling.

--
David