[R] ave(x, y, FUN=length) produces character output when x is character

Thu Dec 25 09:59:14 CET 2014

You have written a lot, Mike, as though we did not know it.  You are not the only one with math and multiple computing languages under your belt. The point Bert made is that the concept that a matrix IS-A vector is not just an implementation detail in R... it helps the practitioner keep straight why things like a[3] is perfectly valid when a is a matrix, and why

a*a
     [,1] [,2]
[1,]    1    9
[2,]    4   16

is true. I understand why you are uncomfortable with it, as I was once, but this is how R works so you are only impeding your own effectiveness by clinging to theory on this point.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing