[R] Question

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 19:05:57 CET 2014

On 28/12/2014 11:12 AM, Iskender Karagul wrote:
> Dear All,
>

> I am a very fresh user of R platform. I completed the download of R for
> Windows, from the http://cran.r-project.org/ Web address.
>

> After opening the program I wanted to Go to Packages Tab and firstly Set
> CRAN mirror and then Install Package(s). However, I saw a statement in the
> console like below:
>

> Warning in install.packages(NULL, .libPaths()[1L], dependencies = NA, type
> =type) :  'lib = "C:/Program Files/R/R-3.1.2/library"' is not writable.
>

> Am I skipping a stage in this very early stage of R or am I just doing
> something wrong?

You need to be very precise in describing what you did before seeing
this message.  Did you run the installer?  How did you run it?  Did you
run R after running the installer?  How?

If this message appeared when running the installer, it suggests that
you are trying to install R but you don't have administrator privileges
on your machine.  If that's the case, you can't install it to Program
Files, as the message says, because that directory is not writable by
you.  There are two solutions:  use "Run as administrator" when you run
the installer, or install it somewhere else.

Duncan Murdoch