[R] Chaining multiple replacement functions in R

Daniel Gabrieli daniel.gabrieli at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 22:51:10 CET 2014

This is what I came up with (to make the recursive function return the
position of the 'name' and still be able to chain the calls together).  I
am not sure if this is a great way to do it... but it seems to be
working...

rmatch.pos <- function(object, name, seq=NA, level=NULL){
  ##return the vector of integers corresponding to the first match
  ##of 'name' to a label in object or NULL if no match is found
    ###object: a list, likely deeply nested
    ##name: the name of the label to look for
    ##seq: starting point to search for 'name' in 'object' i.e. c(2,3,3)
    ##level: don't touch this; it keeps track of how deep the recursive
execution is
  ##can be chained together to reduce ambiguity or result:
    ##obj <- list(a=1, b=list(c=2, d=list(e=1, attr1="really?",
f=list(attr1 = "found me!"))))
    ##obj[[rmatch.pos(obj, "attr1", rmatch.pos(obj, "f"))]]

  if(is.null(seq)){
    #short circuit if NULL gets passed
    #when chaining, this forces the whole 'chain'
    #to NULL when any 'link' is NULL
    return(NULL)
  }
  if(is.null(level)){
    level <- length(na.omit(seq))
  }
  if(any(is.na(seq))){
    temp <- object
  }else{
    temp <- object[[seq]]
  }
  level <- level + 1
  pos <- match(name, names(temp))
  if(!is.na(pos)){
    seq[level] <- pos
    return(seq)
  }
  for(el in seq_along(temp)){
    if(class(temp[[el]]) == "list"){
      seq[level] <- el
      out <- Recall(object, name, seq, level)
      if(!is.null(out)){
        return(out)
      }
    }
  }
}

rmatch.pos(app, "ThirdKey")
rmatch.pos(app, "attr2")
#chaining example
rmatch.pos(app, "attr2", rmatch.pos(app, "FirstKey"))
rmatch.pos(app, "attr2", rmatch.pos(app, "SecondKey"))
rmatch.pos(app, "attr1", rmatch.pos(app, "ERROR"))
rmatch.pos(app, "ERROR", rmatch.pos(app, "attr1"))