[R] Coxph convergence

Hin-Tak Leung htl10 at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Feb 6 00:20:13 CET 2014

Dear Prof Therneau,

I have explored a bit more on this issue - I found that for this specific problem,
one can get the older convergent behavior with just setting toler.chol to 4 e-12.
This is only a little larger than 2x  the current default = .Machine$double.eps^.75
= 1.8e-12.

Since you have mentioned 1e-10 a few times, and the change happened between
a few specific svn commits (r11513 and r11516), I had assumed that the parameter
must have been re-tuned - but am rather surprised that this is *not* the case.
It appears that toler.chol have always been .Machine$double.eps^.75 since at least
June 2000. This means the meaning of it, and how it is used, has changed between
those commits? This is worrying.

Also on the general issues of warnings - it warns on the 5 column matrix
having rank less than 5, so it doesn't help before/after the changes (rank 3 or rank 4).
But convergence and non-convergence probably should be treated quite
differently - the answer from non-convergence is "definitely" wrong, but the
rank 3 convergence result was supposed to be a valid answer to an scientific question.
This rather suggests that those two should be treated/shown differently.

I'd also be interested to hear what went wrong with r11515 (memory consumption just
climbs...). Am quite tempted to set this as a "character-building" exercise to some
of my more capable students. :-).

Hin-Tak