[R] creating an equivalent of r-help on r.stackexchange.com ? (was: Re: Should there be an R-beginners list?)

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 08:24:14 CET 2014

Dear Clint,

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 1:27 AM, Clint Bowman <clint at ecy.wa.gov> wrote:
> Liviu,
>
> Thanks for the excellent description of the advantages of SE.  However,
> there is a significant fraction of the population that prefers that
> information be pushed out to them rather than having to pull it to them. The
> best system is one that accommodates both equally well.

It's not exactly the same as in a mail client, but you also have a
push-like interface on SE, sort of:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/r
- The 'Newest' tab displays all recent questions, sorted in
chronological order with latest on top; it gets refreshed
automatically, as in a mail client (hence, "push-like")
- The 'Active' tab displays all questions with recent activity
(question asked, answered or commented upon)
- You also have the very useful 'Unanswered' tab, which allows to
identify questions that haven't yet received useful advice

Another push-like element in SE is that once you ask a question or
answer, any subsequent comments on your post will be notified to you
either in the web interface or by email. This helps keep discussions
alive.

Regards,
Liviu